Alaska Airlines has always been an innovator in the airlines industry—they were the first airline to develop a website and the first to offer customer self check-in at airports. But the innovation didn’t stop there. Knowing that the mobile space presented new opportunities to connect with customers and empower them to manage their travel plans with greater ease, Alaska Airlines set out to expand its current mobile offering and engaged Point B’s project management expertise to help.
Leading to success
Point B provided project management support to Alaska Airlines to help them reach their objective of empowering customers with mobile tools. Point B helped Alaska Airlines:
- Select a partner with expertise in the mobile space.
- Deploy backend systems that securely provide data to operate external solutions, such as mobile via web services.
- Manage the mobile program budget, stakeholder communications and expectations, and plans for customer delivery.
- Release native mobile applications on Apple and Android platforms.
- Develop a revamped mobile site to replace Alaska Airlines’ outdated one.
Overcoming challenges and empowering customers
Point B provided project management support to Alaska Airlines to overcome technical and business challenges, such as gaining approval from the TSA for an internally developed mobile boarding pass solution to deliver the new application. In addition to receiving rave reviews from customers, the new application:
- Achieved the #1 ranking in the iPhone travel category, ahead of Google Earth, Yelp, Blackberry Over-the-Air, and all other mobile airline applications.
- Received the attention of Apple, Microsoft, and Sprint, who featured the application in a television ad.
- Nominated for Mobile App of the Year by TechFlash!